If you're completely new to riding, or if you're looking to upgrade to the bike you've always dreamed of, this section will tell you everything you need to know.
The first thing you'll need is a provisional 'Category A' licence from the
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).
- If you don’t have a provisional licence you can apply here
- However, if you already have a full car licence you may have provisional 'Category A' included on your current licence - you can check here
Always ensure you apply for your provisional licence directly with the DVLA.
What Bike Can I Ride?
Depending on how old you are, what sort of bike or moped you want to ride and what sort of licence you may or may not already have, you have a few options to get on the road.
The very first step is Compulsory Basic Training (CBT). From there, you have a few different routes you can take to get your full licence:
- If you’re 16+ and want to ride a moped 50 cc or less:
- If you’re 17+ and want to ride a motorbike up to 125 cc:
- If you’re 19+ and want to ride a motorbike up to 35 kW:
- If you’re 21 to 23 and want to ride any size of motorbike:
- If you’re 24+ and want to ride any size of motorbike:
If you're getting your bike licence, we'd love to hear how it's going - you can keep us posted of your progress on Twitter: @walesbybike